What are your business hours?
Our practice hours are from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00 am to 1.30 pm Friday. Appointments can be made by telephoning our practice at (07) 4922-7220.
The office may be closed or operating for reduced hours over some leave periods, particularly Christmas/New Year. If so, our recorded telephone message will advise the current business hours.
Do I need a referral to make an appointment?
If you are seeing Dr South as a private patient, you can make an appointment prior to obtaining a referral from your GP. However, you will need a current referral at the time of your consultation in order to receive the Medicare rebate.
If you would like to consult Dr South as a WorkCover patient, our secretaries will ask you to send the referral from your GP. We will then contact you regarding an appointment.
What orthopaedic conditions can I see Dr South about?
Dr South provides consultations on all orthopaedic conditions except for those relating to the spine. If you have a back problem, your GP will be able to advise you of a suitable surgeon.
What will I be asked when I call for an appointment?
Our secretaries will ask for the following:
- Your name and the suburb where you live
- Whether you have seen Dr South before
- What part of the body you want to consult Dr South about
- Whether you are a private or WorkCover patient
- Whether you are with a health fund and which one
- What radiological investigations you have had
- Which GP is referring you
- Your best daytime contact number
What information will they give me?
Our secretaries will advise you of the cost of your initial consultation. They will advise whether further radiological investigations are required before your visit. For most conditions, Dr South will need an x-ray of the area.
Please ask for directions to the Mater Medical Centre if you need them.
Note: We do not give surgery quotes or medical advice over the phone. This will need to be discussed at the time of your consultation. If you need surgery, we will be able to give you an estimate once Dr South has identified the appropriate item number/s. See Financial Information.
What do I need to bring for my appointment?
- Your referral from your GP
- Any investigations you have of the injured area, e.g., x-rays, ultrasound, MRI, CT
- Your Medicare card number
- Optionally, you can also download the Medical History Form (see Patient Forms), fill it in and bring it along also. Otherwise, we will give you a form to fill in when you arrive for your consultation.
Confirmation and cancellation of appointments
If you need to cancel or change your appointment, please let us know as soon as possible.
We will phone you in the week prior to your initial consultation to confirm the appointment. Please call us back if we are unable to speak with you directly. We have a waiting list of patients who would like to be booked into an earlier appointment if one becomes available.
Other appointment information
Dr South endeavours to run his consultation clinics to time. However, the nature of orthopaedics means that he may have to accept emergencies at times. These are unforeseen and cannot be predicted and occasionally he may fall a little behind his schedule. We understand your time is valuable. If you have limited time available for your appointment, please call us prior to your scheduled time to see how Dr South is running.